Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Thoughts about my trip

Slowly my plans for the hike take shape. But there is very much I have to do before I can definitly start in August.
I have to order the "Thru-Hiker Handbook" from Wingfoot (people say it's the best what is on the market) plan my route and buy much equipment.
For my luck the outdoor gear here is very cheap, so I don't have to invest as much money as at home, but it's still a huge list what I need.
  • 1-man tent (optional)
  • GPS
  • water treatment system
  • trinking system
  • rain trousers
  • 1st aid stuff
  • lots of food!

I already got a ride to the starting point, the arrangements for the return are almost done. So this shouldn't cause any problems.

Soon I have to buy some breakfast food at WalMart or FoodLion and make a big test, what could be considerd to supply me with power every morning during the trip due to the lack of Muesli. But there is a big selection and I hope to discover the right thing.

For the rest of the food I have to look, what I can get and what is light enough to be carried all the time on my back.

For drinking I found some instant ice tea, which tastes good and is quite cheap. This should be a good alternativ to the German fizzy tablets.

This time I try to make a kind of lightweight backpacking and not to carry to much needless stuff around with me. This is more or less just because I fear my Achilles Tendon could cause some problems again and I want to do all to avoid this. Nothing is as bad as abort a tour due to physical problems.

I try to get this list done step by step. If there is something new, I let you know!

Take care,

Jasper