Friday, June 17, 2005

Gear - An Endless Story

Today I ordered the "Thru-Hiker Handbook". You have to send them a check and they'll (hopefully) send you a book. Normally it should only last up to three days. I expect to get it by next midweek. Then I can finally begin to plan my hike in detail.

About my other gear I didn't come to a decision yet:

  • For the water treatment system I found two products I like very much. But both have their advantages and disadvantages. So it's hard to me to decide, because it's a lot of money.
  • For the GPS I found finally the "Magellan Meridian Platinum" which fulfills all my requirements. I found it "quite" cheap at amazon.com, but in this price range "cheap" is ironically.
  • The drinking system is not that big deal. I'll buy one from "Platypus" with two or three liter capacity.
  • I'm not sure yet, if I need the rain trousers at all. Perhaps I can find an answer in the guidebook. If I need them, I likely need gaiters, too.
  • At "MEC" I found some nice 1st aid packets, I have to ask some people for assistance, which one is better.

This weekend I'm going to visit the "Great Smoky National Park" with some friends. There I anyway take a look at the AT, to see, what is going to challenge me in two month. Hopefully I can get there some information concerning the hike.


Have a great weekend,


Jasper