Monday, June 20, 2005

The First Contact

At the weekend I was there: The Appalachian Trail!

We went hiking in the "Smoky Mountain National Park". From our campsite we climbed up the hills for about one hour and finally sighted the trail in front of us. It runs exactly on the North Carolina/Tennessee border. We walked a few yards on the trail but were forced to return due to severe weather coming up over distant ridges.

I really enjoyed this short hike and I'm looking forward to August when I'm finally able to start my "adventure"! The impressions I received on this two-days trip (way to short) were really something I have missed over the last months. I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this tour very much!

As to gear I finally made a decision concerning the GPS Receiver. My choice is the "Magellan Meridian Platinum". I should get it end of the week by mail and hope it meets my expectations.

The "Thru Hiker Handbook" is also ordered and should be at my place even sooner. This book is absolutely essential for all further planning concerning my trip. As soon as I receive it, I’ll be able to make precise plans of this trip.

So far,

Jasper